The Engineer is responsible for planning, organizing, and directing the Engineering functions. This individual will lead, implement, and maintain best in class Engineering to drive new product development and ensure the highest levels of product quality. Responsibilities include planning and effective allocation of department resources to meet objectives, developing and working to a budget for the department, leading and providing design direction on product development activities to realize innovative products that provide superior value to our customers, improving and modifying existing product designs, providing oversight and expertise to standardized processes, and ensuring execution of key projects.
Regular Functions include:
- Develop, recommend, and execute long and short-range planning, policies, programs, and objective to deliver results.
- Lead and provide oversight to employees within the department to mentor, coach, and develop their skills.
- Develop and implement optimal processes for product redesign, new product design, and other processes as required to achieve efficiency and quality.
- Design validation test plans to evaluate products from prototypes to production release.
- Prioritize and ensure completion of engineering requirements and projects based on the organization’s objectives.
- Lead problem-solving and process improvement processes with manufacturing and customers to achieve resolution and elimination of current product issues.
- Identify opportunities for streamlining processes (LEAN manufacturing focus) to ensure a quality product in a timely manner.
- Assume responsibility for and report on customer and internal quality metrics to management. Drive corrective action to facilitate improvements.
- Identify financial and manpower requirements including an appropriate mix of internal and outsourced functions to attain the optimal organizational structure.
- Work with customers to gain the voice of the customer and translate this into new and improved product designs and product enhancements.
- Reduce cost and improve product performance through value engineering industrial products and LEAN concepts.
- Plan and monitor multiple projects to meet the deadline, quality, and budget requirements.
- Create a contingency plans and deploy risk mitigation as appropriate.
- Coordinate with other functions of the organization to ensure new products and product improvements are executed on time at target cost and quality levels. Lead cost analysis for design concepts to ensure new products are economically viable.
- Work with strategic sourcing to review and validate supplier requirements for compliance to product specifications.
- Drive and manage the final concept of a new product into production.
- Develop and enforce standards and documentation that comply with generally accepted engineering and quality practices.
- Assist in attracting, retaining, evaluating, developing, and motivating engineering and quality staff.
- Other duties as required.
What We Are Looking For:
- B.S. in Engineering
- Master’s in engineering or Business preferred
- Minimum 5 years related experience
- Minimum 2 years in a leadership role successfully leading the Engineering department.
- Prepare reports and presentations as needed
- Participate in customer audits ensuring compliance with policies, procedures, and written specifications as needed.
- Participate in key supplier audits to reduce quality risk as needed.
- Exercise independent judgment and discretion at all times.